Computer Architecture Blog

Monday, March 30, 2009

$100,000 for Virtual Property


Can you believe that a man has payed $100,000 for a piece of property from a virtual world? Jon Jacobs, the man who purchased this expensive non-realistic property, believes that he can bring in over $1.6 million dollars per year by using his purchase to his advantage. He wants to build resorts, nightclubs, and fertile hunting grounds on his property. He then could use those businesses to make money, to help compensate for his own purchase. All of this has been done on the virtual world called Second Life.


Personally, I think this is one of the stupidest things ever done and one of the brightest all together. I believe it is stupid because I would not want to have all my money tied up in some virtual world, I would rather live in the real world and use my money for the good of myself and others. On the other hand, it is a very bright act considering that everybody enjoys different activities and makes a living out of millions of different occupations.

There are some people in this world whose job is making up virtual worlds like these. There are also other people who enjoy their virtual world, whereas you or I would enjoy spending time with family and friends. So by reaching out to those people in the world, Jon Jacobs is actually making a very logical decision. Although it is something I would never consider, I cannot speak for everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment